Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
www-client/surf blank page on startup [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: www-client/surf blank page on startup [solved] Reply with quote

has anyone tried this browser?

Code:
[I] www-client/surf
     Available versions:  (~)0.4.1 {savedconfig}
     Installed versions:  0.4.1(16:08:02 01/27/11)(savedconfig)
     Homepage:            http://surf.suckless.org/
     Description:         a simple web browser based on WebKit/GTK+


everytime i start it i get a blank page with no possibility of interacting with it.


Last edited by h2sammo on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrl+g

Reading the man page might be helpful:
Code:
man surf


http://man.suckless.org/surf/1/surf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read it. there is no response to my commands.

here is what the terminal shows when i try Ctrl - g
Code:

bobby@main ~ $ surf
_SURF_URI: dmenu: command not found
cut: write error: Broken pipe
_SURF_URI: dmenu: command not found
cut: write error: Broken pipe


i am using gnome desktop... i dont know if matters. i dont have dmenu installed nor was it pulled in as a dependency for surf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked back when I tried it.

Maybe dmenu should be a dependency?

Dmenu is tiny. I'd try emerging it and see if surf works then. If not, I'd file a bug.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i emerged dmenu and now it works wonderfully. i love this little browser. i will try to file a bug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it works. Let me know if you have trouble filing the bug.

Add [Solved] to the subject line of the original post.

By the way, another cool little tool is surfraw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read up on surfraw before this but i didnt understand how if would work from the description on its main page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i filed this bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353105
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. If you unmerge surf, don't forget to unmerge dmenu.

I use an extremely minimal window manager by surfraw called dwm. The whole thing is less than 2,000 lines of C code. It uses dmenu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do i paste the autologin script for surf?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h2sammo wrote:
where do i paste the autologin script for surf?

I don't know. You have probably surpassed my knowledge of it at this point. I only tried it briefly once. Sorry.

Do read the man page. I know there's a config file. You can run things via dmenu. It's addressable via X properties or similar. There may be some help, scripts, extensions, etc. on the web site. That's about all I can tell you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dreadlorde
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 243
Location: /adm/timezone/US_Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Looks good. If you unmerge surf, don't forget to unmerge dmenu.

I use an extremely minimal window manager by surfraw called dwm. The whole thing is less than 2,000 lines of C code. It uses dmenu.
surfraw != surf. surfraw isn't written by the same person/people who wrote surf or dwm. The only similarity between them is that they let you browse the web and have similar names.
_________________
Ludwig von Mises Institute
Quote:
I am not to be a shepherd, I am not to be a grave-digger. No longer will I speak to the people; for the last time I have spoken to the dead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadlorde wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Looks good. If you unmerge surf, don't forget to unmerge dmenu.

I use an extremely minimal window manager by surfraw called dwm. The whole thing is less than 2,000 lines of C code. It uses dmenu.
surfraw != surf. surfraw isn't written by the same person/people who wrote surf or dwm. The only similarity between them is that they let you browse the web and have similar names.

You are confused. Nobody here thinks surf is surfraw or is confused about the difference between them.
But I see that I probably (somehow) caused that confusion when I erroneously attributed to dwm to "surfraw" when I meant to say "suckless". :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dreadlorde
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 243
Location: /adm/timezone/US_Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
dreadlorde wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Looks good. If you unmerge surf, don't forget to unmerge dmenu.

I use an extremely minimal window manager by surfraw called dwm. The whole thing is less than 2,000 lines of C code. It uses dmenu.
surfraw != surf. surfraw isn't written by the same person/people who wrote surf or dwm. The only similarity between them is that they let you browse the web and have similar names.

You are confused. Nobody here thinks surf is surfraw or is confused about the difference between them.
But I see that I probably (somehow) caused that confusion when I erroneously attributed to dwm to "surfraw" when I meant to say "suckless". :lol:
That would be what caused the confusion.
_________________
Ludwig von Mises Institute
Quote:
I am not to be a shepherd, I am not to be a grave-digger. No longer will I speak to the people; for the last time I have spoken to the dead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1609
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadlorde wrote:
That would be what caused the confusion.

Please accept my apologies for said confusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dreadlorde
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 243
Location: /adm/timezone/US_Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Please accept my apologies for said confusion.
Save them for later. ;) It's not like you kicked my grandmother in the chest or anything.
_________________
Ludwig von Mises Institute
Quote:
I am not to be a shepherd, I am not to be a grave-digger. No longer will I speak to the people; for the last time I have spoken to the dead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
h2sammo
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 1025
Location: Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, von Mises to the rescue :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum