Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
(SOLVED) Gentoo n00b - Firefox 4.0 64bit (amd64)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nunnst
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: (SOLVED) Gentoo n00b - Firefox 4.0 64bit (amd64) Reply with quote

Just installed Gentoo on amd64. Would like Firefox 4.0 64bit but can't figure out how to get it.

Any help would be appreciated!


Last edited by nunnst on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Biert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2006
Posts: 45
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo n00b - Firefox 4.0 64bit (amd64) Reply with quote

nunnst wrote:
Just installed Gentoo on amd64. Would like Firefox 4.0 64bit but can't figure out how to get it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Add the following packages to package.keywords (read here how):
www-client/firefox
net-libs/xulrunner
dev-libs/nss
dev-libs/nspr

Then type "emerge firefox" and wait for emerge to finish :)


I suggest you read up on the wonderful things portage can do, for example here.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Biert/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nunnst
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo n00b - Firefox 4.0 64bit (amd64) Reply with quote

Biert wrote:
nunnst wrote:
Just installed Gentoo on amd64. Would like Firefox 4.0 64bit but can't figure out how to get it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Add the following packages to package.keywords (read here how):
www-client/firefox
net-libs/xulrunner
dev-libs/nss
dev-libs/nspr

Then type "emerge firefox" and wait for emerge to finish :)


I suggest you read up on the wonderful things portage can do, for example here.


Thanks! Didnt realize I needed to add the nss, nspr, and xlsrunner lines. Had already added the firefox line the the package.keywords file. It's compiling as I write.

Have read so much my eyeballs are burning. Moving to Gentoo is frankly more more complex that the ubuntu/arch linus distro's however both were bogging my old hardware down too much. So far Gentoo is blazing fast in comparision.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Biert
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2006
Posts: 45
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo n00b - Firefox 4.0 64bit (amd64) Reply with quote

nunnst wrote:
Biert wrote:
nunnst wrote:
Just installed Gentoo on amd64. Would like Firefox 4.0 64bit but can't figure out how to get it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Add the following packages to package.keywords (read here how):
www-client/firefox
net-libs/xulrunner
dev-libs/nss
dev-libs/nspr

Then type "emerge firefox" and wait for emerge to finish :)


I suggest you read up on the wonderful things portage can do, for example here.


Thanks! Didnt realize I needed to add the nss, nspr, and xlsrunner lines. Had already added the firefox line the the package.keywords file. It's compiling as I write.

Have read so much my eyeballs are burning. Moving to Gentoo is frankly more more complex that the ubuntu/arch linus distro's however both were bogging my old hardware down too much. So far Gentoo is blazing fast in comparision.

You can specify specific versions of the software you want to emerge. If you had typed "emerge >=www-client/firefox-4.0" it would have told you which packages were unavailable and in need of unmasking.


By the way, since Firefox 4 is in the main portage tree, you didn't have to post this in "unsupported software". Desktop Environments would have been more appropriate.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Biert/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dahoste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Dec 2005
Posts: 138
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that you might end up needing to add net-libs/libproxy to keywords as well. When FFv4 requires >=xulrunner-2.0, that conflicts with the current stable libproxy (0.4.6), which specifies =xulrunner-1.9*, so you have to allow libproxy-0.4.6-r2 which is compatible with xulrunner-2.0.

At least, that's what I had to do, as I had some pkgs that required libproxy. If you don't, then don't worry about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum