Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo installation problems[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Gentoo installation problems[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi IM NEW AND NOOB and please help me because i install gentoo x64 but in cd i entered modprobe 8139too and net-setup eth0 and iwconfig ifconfig... and it worked! NOW on the hard disk startup the internet doesn't connect and i don't know why... Secondly how can i install nvidia drivers? and the third is that when it boots it doesn
t start slim and xfce! it starts with the black & white screen which i log in and when i start X it says fatal error: no screens found. Help. :cry:


Last edited by pelargos on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10273
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Lots of questions. Here's a few answers:
  1. You probably didn't configure your kernel to build the 8139too driver. Do that and rebuild and install your kernel and you should be on line. If you need more detailed instructions, just ask.
  2. To install the proprietary nVidia drivers, see the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide.
  3. Did you follow the The X Server Configuration HOWTO? Do you have VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES defined in /etc/make.conf? If all of that appears to be correct, please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. (Get your network working first and then install wgetpaste to make this easy.)
Punctuation is always appreciated, too. :wink:

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 499 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43365
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelargos,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You have a lot of independent problems there. Choose one any we work work on that first, If you try to fix two or more things, you will get confused and we will get confused too.

Lets start with your wired internet. It would be useful to know how you made your kernel. With genkernel, by yourself with make menuconfig or by following kernel-seeds.org?

Make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in then do the following.
We know that you need the 8139too kernel module. Thats what worked on the liveCD.
What does
Code:
modprobe 8139too
say on your own install?
The right answer is nothing. In Linux, commands typically are silent when they work and only show error conditions.
If that command works go on to try
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

If all is well, you with have an internet connection.

Test with
Code:
ping google.com
USe ctrl-c to stop the ping command.

Tell us any error messages you get. Don't say some something like ... quote the messages.

Once ping works, try
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
You will need that to tell us about the other problems.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pelargos,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You have a lot of independent problems there. Choose one any we work work on that first, If you try to fix two or more things, you will get confused and we will get confused too.

Lets start with your wired internet. It would be useful to know how you made your kernel. With genkernel, by yourself with make menuconfig or by following kernel-seeds.org?

Make sure your ethernet cable is plugged in then do the following.
We know that you need the 8139too kernel module. Thats what worked on the liveCD.
What does
Code:
modprobe 8139too
say on your own install?
The right answer is nothing. In Linux, commands typically are silent when they work and only show error conditions.
If that command works go on to try
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

If all is well, you with have an internet connection.

Test with
Code:
ping google.com
USe ctrl-c to stop the ping command.

Tell us any error messages you get. Don't say some something like ... quote the messages.

Once ping works, try
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
You will need that to tell us about the other problems.


in /etc/init.d... it says : error interface eth0 does not exist and ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module from your hardware & net.eth0 failed to start... but i re configured the kernel make menuconfig... and yes it was my fault :roll: :oops:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Hmm. Lots of questions. Here's a few answers:
  1. You probably didn't configure your kernel to build the 8139too driver. Do that and rebuild and install your kernel and you should be on line. If you need more detailed instructions, just ask.
  2. To install the proprietary nVidia drivers, see the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide.
  3. Did you follow the The X Server Configuration HOWTO? Do you have VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES defined in /etc/make.conf? If all of that appears to be correct, please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. (Get your network working first and then install wgetpaste to make this easy.)
Punctuation is always appreciated, too. :wink:

- John


yes i did the nvidia and xorg guide and i dont know what i made wrong! xorg0log says that ERROR NO SCREENS FOUND & error parsing the config file. my kernel config also i think it's ok. Help please... :roll:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10273
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so you got your networking running, right? Then, emerge wgetpaste and post your /etc/make.conf and your /var/log/Xorg.0.log files for us to examine. Did you make an /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If so, post that too.

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 499 National Security Letters.


Last edited by John R. Graham on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadly Assassin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you paste your xorg.conf please, too.

It should at least look like this:
http://bpaste.net/show/33818/
_________________
Human knowledge belongs to the world!
BluePanel - Source that matters…
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadly Assassin wrote:
Can you paste your xorg.conf please, too.

It should at least look like this:
http://bpaste.net/show/33818/
Well it's this which u showed on the site and it also has some other options because i did nvidia-xconfig...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43365
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelargos,

Please post it. To help you, we need your specific information.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadly Assassin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please posts the files John R. Graham asked for?

If you don't know how to do this, you could try it like this:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
wgetpaste -c "cat /etc/make.conf"
wgetpaste -c "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log"
wgetpaste -c "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf"


Then paste links here. Otherwise we won't be able to help you.

PS: @John R. Graham I did not read you already asked for xorg.conf. Sorry! :oops:
_________________
Human knowledge belongs to the world!
BluePanel - Source that matters…
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadly Assassin wrote:
Could you please posts the files John R. Graham asked for?

If you don't know how to do this, you could try it like this:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
wgetpaste -c "cat /etc/make.conf"
wgetpaste -c "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log"
wgetpaste -c "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf"


Then paste links here. Otherwise we won't be able to help you.

PS: @John R. Graham I did not read you already asked for xorg.conf. Sorry! :oops:

THANKS :) it's
http://bpaste.net/show/33841/ & 33842 & 33843 . Waiting for answer :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadly Assassin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you run
Code:
modprobe nvidia

If anything is returned, please paste it here.
Otherwise to startx again.
_________________
Human knowledge belongs to the world!
BluePanel - Source that matters…
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43365
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelargos,

I suspect you hav maje the nvidia kernel module for one kernel while you are actually using another.

What is the output of
Code:
readlink /usr/src/linux
Thats the kernel the kernel module will build for.
Compare the kernel version there with that from
Code:
uname -a
which gives information about the running kernel.

The two need not be the same
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadly Assassin wrote:
Could you run
Code:
modprobe nvidia

If anything is returned, please paste it here.
Otherwise to startx again.


the modprobe nvidia is ok...

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pelargos,

I suspect you hav maje the nvidia kernel module for one kernel while you are actually using another.

What is the output of
Code:
readlink /usr/src/linux
Thats the kernel the kernel module will build for.
Compare the kernel version there with that from
Code:
uname -a
which gives information about the running kernel.

The two need not be the same


linux-3.4.3-pf

&

Linux user 3.4.3-pf #7 SMP Sat Jul 7 07:52:15 UTC 2012 x86_x64 AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43365
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelargos,


That looks good. Is your normal user in the video group?

Check with groups
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pelargos,


That looks good. Is your normal user in the video group?

Check with groups


Yes it is. Now what's the next mischion my lord ??? xD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43365
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelargos,

Whats still broken ?

If nvidia still won't load post your dmesg output and kernel .config file from /usr/src/linux/.config.

wgetpaste is your friend.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
pelargos,

Whats still broken ?

If nvidia still won't load post your dmesg output and kernel .config file from /usr/src/linux/.config.

wgetpaste is your friend.


The problem isn't the nvidia. It's that when i startx it says this fatal error: no screens found... what about it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 10273
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To provide some additional detail on what NeddySeagoon is requesting, you need to use wgetpaste to provide us with some log files and your kernel .config file. Run
Code:
emerge --noreplace wgetpaste
dmesg | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /usr/src/linux/.config
This should give you two short URLs which you need to post here so we can see those files. Clear? :wink:

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 499 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
To provide some additional detail on what NeddySeagoon is requesting, you need to use wgetpaste to provide us with some log files and your kernel .config file. Run
Code:
emerge --noreplace wgetpaste
dmesg | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /usr/src/linux/.config
This should give you two short URLs which you need to post here so we can see those files. Clear? :wink:
- John

Okay...........
It's
http://bpaste.net/show/34111/ & 34112
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noyone? :(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 1600
Location: US

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelargos

Paste back ls -l /boot
_________________
Good luck :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadly Assassin
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like nvidia modul is blocked by another modul or something

Can you paste the output of
Code:
lsmod

_________________
Human knowledge belongs to the world!
BluePanel - Source that matters…
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbangnet
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 174

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatal error: no screens found is like general fault failure...it can mean a lot of things. To my knowledge and limited experience, it seems the problem is related to your kernel since it can't find it. To make sure, double check your kernel I would tell you to rebuild again. From the xorg log it seems X can't find your nividia module in your kernel.


In any case, whats your emerge --info ?
_________________
I'm a noob, be gentle with me. TEACH ME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pelargos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Jul 2012
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpaste.net/show/34243/ & 34244 & 34245[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum