Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
RT8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller not detected
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
shellscriptcoder
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: NY, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: RT8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller not detected Reply with quote

Hello, future community,
I'm currently in the process of installing Gentoo. However, this is going to be impossible because Gentoo will not detect my wireless network card (Realtek RT8191SEvA Wireless LAN Controller). The only interface
Code:
ifconfig
shows by default is lo, but with a bit of
Code:
modprobe
I can get it to detect eth0. But no matter what I do, I cannot get it to detect wlan0, which is necessary because I must use a wireless network to connect to the Internet. Please help!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 1600
Location: US

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shellscriptcoder,

You can use any live cd to install gentoo. I used lmde which seems pretty good at detecting wireless devices.
_________________
Good luck :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shellscriptcoder
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: NY, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
shellscriptcoder,

You can use any live cd to install gentoo. I used lmde which seems pretty good at detecting wireless devices.


Cool, thanks. :D I noticed that when I was reading the documentation, but never checked it out. I'll try it now. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43221
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shellscriptcoder,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Its not impossible to install Gentoo without a network connection on your install target. You just have to use Sneakernet until you have all the bits you need for wireless. You don't need to go to that extreme yet.

You don't say what boot media you are using. Any liveCD that will give you a root shell, with a 64 bit kernel is you want a 64 bit install and supports your wireless will work. The boot media only provides the tools you need to accomplish the install. None of its code goes into the install.
Sadly the Gentoo minimal CDs support very few wireless interfaces.

If you don't have a suitable cover mount lying around, get SystemRescueCD. Its Gentoo based, supports a large number of wireless cards and allows you to follow the handbook.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shellscriptcoder
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: NY, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
shellscriptcoder,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Its not impossible to install Gentoo without a network connection on your install target. You just have to use Sneakernet until you have all the bits you need for wireless. You don't need to go to that extreme yet.

You don't say what boot media you are using. Any liveCD that will give you a root shell, with a 64 bit kernel is you want a 64 bit install and supports your wireless will work. The boot media only provides the tools you need to accomplish the install. None of its code goes into the install.
Sadly the Gentoo minimal CDs support very few wireless interfaces.

If you don't have a suitable cover mount lying around, get SystemRescueCD. Its Gentoo based, supports a large number of wireless cards and allows you to follow the handbook.


I'm using the Gentoo minimal. So I guess I'll try to use another LiveCD?

My installation media is a 256MB USB Flash Drive. I'm using a netbook, so I don't have access to a CD drive.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try out the SystemRescueCD. :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43221
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shellscriptcoder,

256Mb will be very tight. Still, if you have a nother Linux system, you can strip it down a bit.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shellscriptcoder
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: NY, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
shellscriptcoder,

256Mb will be very tight. Still, if you have a nother Linux system, you can strip it down a bit.


I think I might have an 8GB SD Card lying around somewhere around here... I'll try to find that and install from there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 43221
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shellscriptcoder,

As long as you can boot from an SD card ...
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shellscriptcoder
n00b
n00b


Joined: 01 Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Location: NY, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
shellscriptcoder,

As long as you can boot from an SD card ...


I can. My Asus computer will let me boot from anything, so long as it's plugged in. In fact, my current OS (Arch) was installed via SD card.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum