Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Trouble Compiling Kernel For New Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ts1971
n00b
n00b


Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Trouble Compiling Kernel For New Install Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm pretty new to a lot of this stuff so apologies in advance for what are probably silly questions. Anyway, having arrived at the 'Configuring the Kernel' chapter of the install guide I decided to have a go at the Manual Configuration Option. I was able to configure and compile the kernel and copied it to /boot. However, not having a lot of faith that I hadn't messed somethng up with menuconfig I decided to also use genkernel, thinking that if the kernel I created manually didn't work, I would have the genkerneled kernel to fall back on. Unfortunatly the command 'genkernel all' end with the error you can see in the attached screen shot.

So here are my probably silly questions:

(1) does having run menuconfig somehow interefere with subsequently running genkernel? I would imagine that the selections I make in menuconfig are written to a config file somwhere. Does that config file become an input to genkernel? If I hadn't manually created the kernel, might genkernel have worked?

(2) I kicked off the installation with the rescue cd so CTRL-ALT-F7 gives me access to a x environment with a browser (midori) so I can access the forums. However, I can't figure out how to copy data from the installation environment to this environment to include them along with the post? How can I do that? Can I open a terminal and do a chroot or something? I'm kind of paranoid about doing something which will mess up my install. At this point I just want to get a system up and running so that I can start to learn it.

(3) Since I already have the kernel from the first attempt, can I just ignore that compiler error and continue with the installation instructions? Or did it possibly leave my system in a bad state?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 1773
Location: Here and Away Again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Compiling Kernel For New Install Reply with quote

Teegrins, ts1971!

Silly is the question you do not ask. ^^

ts1971 wrote:
(1) does having run menuconfig somehow interefere with subsequently running genkernel? I would imagine that the selections I make in menuconfig are written to a config file somwhere. Does that config file become an input to genkernel? If I hadn't manually created the kernel, might genkernel have worked?

I don't quite remember what files genkernel uses, but by default, menuconfig saves to /usr/src/linux/.config and which is used during 'make'. One can also set a custom save destination in menuconfig, but only .config is used when invoking make manually as far as I understand.

After taking a look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml to refresh my memory, I noticed that it might actually save (unless you tell it not to) the configuration file to /etc/kernels (genkernel, that is). I still have one of mine there:

Code:

$ ls /etc/kernels/ -l                                                                                                                   
total 72                                                                                                                                                 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 69053 Sep 11  2010 kernel-config-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6

Heh, that takes me back...

Even disregarding that, I don't think anything should interfere, but in any case, one can use:

Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all

to invoke menuconfig before genkernel does its thing.

What was/is the error? I see no screenshots. ^^;

I would suggest going with the manual method all in all. I used genkernel in the beginning a bit over 2 years ago, and took a while before taking the leap to manual configuration, but after I did, I was very glad indeed that I did. To be able to boot the system up, making sure you have all the drivers set that you see lspci -k spit out under Systemrescuecd is usually more or less enough (in addition to file-system support, of course).

Pappy's Seeds, which I forgot to mention but was brought up below by Clad in Sky, are no doubt great help, though I never tried myself.

ts1971 wrote:
(2) I kicked off the installation with the rescue cd so CTRL-ALT-F7 gives me access to a x environment with a browser (midori) so I can access the forums. However, I can't figure out how to copy data from the installation environment to this environment to include them along with the post? How can I do that? Can I open a terminal and do a chroot or something? I'm kind of paranoid about doing something which will mess up my install. At this point I just want to get a system up and running so that I can start to learn it.

Make friends with wgetpaste for when you want to post your Kernel .config for example, or other logs (especially for the long ones, like the Kernel config).

If you have a file on a partition, you could simply mount it like you did during the installation process, and access those files. No chrooting should be necessary for that, depending of course what data exactly you were after.

ts1971 wrote:
(3) Since I already have the kernel from the first attempt, can I just ignore that compiler error and continue with the installation instructions? Or did it possibly leave my system in a bad state?

Yes, the compiler errors are irrelevant to the system itself, unless it would go bad during installation of modules for example, or so I imagine...


Just some quick thoughts~
Sorry if there are odd wording or spelling errors. Being kinda sleepy...


Edit:
  • Add mention of file-system support and Pappy's Seeds.

_________________
Kind Regards,
~ The Noob Unlimited ~

Sore wa sore, kore wa kore.


Last edited by Chiitoo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 852
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about genkernel, but if you're not confident enough to trust your own kernel, I recommend using pappy's kernel seeds. They're premade .configs with only the drivers missing.
http://kernel-seeds.org/

It's pretty easy to work with these seeds.
_________________
Kali Ma
Now it's autumn of the aeons
Dance with your sword
Now it's time for the harvest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum