Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HP Pavillion - No Backlight
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: HP Pavillion - No Backlight Reply with quote

Hey there,

I just made a (massive) upgrade of Gentoo on my old machine, just to find out that the backlight stuffs are not working. Previously I didn't actually try: the laptop comes with two dim control keys, and even though they do not produce an event in xev or input-events, they did control the brightness correctly. Well, sad story, now they don't and I can't find anything in /sys/

Code:
◢ jarvis ◣ ~ $  find /sys -iname "*bright*"
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:02:00.0/leds/phy0-led/brightness
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:02:00.0/leds/phy0-led/max_brightness
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:04:00.1/leds/mmc0::/brightness
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.4/0000:04:00.1/leds/mmc0::/max_brightness
/sys/devices/virtual/leds/hp::hddprotect/brightness
/sys/devices/virtual/leds/hp::hddprotect/max_brightness
◢ jarvis ◣ ~ $


Also "light" or "back" do not return anything related to video. There is a directory named "/sys/bus/acpi/drivers/NVIDIA ACPI Video Driver" though, but no backlight control found in there.

This is an HP Pavillion DV7 if that matters, using nvidia-drivers=334.21-r1 and gentoo-sources-3.13.6. The GPU is:
Code:
◢ jarvis ◣ ~ $  lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216M [GeForce GT 230M] (rev a2)
◢ jarvis ◣ ~ $


Thanks in advance!
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 2486
Location: Silver City, NM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These boot parameters fix the backlight on some HP laptops:
Code:
video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 video.brightness_switch_enabled=1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
These boot parameters fix the backlight on some HP laptops:
Code:
video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 video.brightness_switch_enabled=1

Erm... can you enlightenment on how to set up these boot parameters? ><
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 2486
Location: Silver City, NM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the bootloader you are using. If you are using grub-legacy then just add them to the end of the "kernel" line in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file. I don't know how to add boot parameters to grub-2. I've never used it.

Here is the section on bootloaders in the handbook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
It depends on the bootloader you are using. If you are using grub-legacy then just add them to the end of the "kernel" line in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file. I don't know how to add boot parameters to grub-2. I've never used it.

Here is the section on bootloaders in the handbook.

I am not using any bootloader. I use efibootmgr to define the options and to set up bootorder, but that's it. I considered using refind, and I actually have it; but it is in fact just booting the kernel directly.
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 2486
Location: Silver City, NM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. Parameterless booting always seemed like a screwy idea to me. If you are allowed an initrd then you could use kexec to make linux act as a bootloader and pass yourself kernel parameters but that seems like a lot of effort just to workaround a defective bootloader.
man kexec wrote:
kexec is a system call that enables you to load and boot into another kernel from the currently running kernel.

To load a kernel, the syntax is as follows:
Code:
kexec -l kernel-image --append=command-line-options --initrd=initrd-image

Edit: Those boot parameters only work on some HP laptops. One of the reasons I suggested them was I thought it would be easy for you to give them a try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hu
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 14360

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can compile kernel command line parameters into the kernel specifically because there exist defective bootloaders that cannot pass arguments. Some EFI implementations might be smart enough to let efibootmgr save a command line to include. Embedding them in the kernel is easier, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Holysword
l33t
l33t


Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 946
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
That's unfortunate. Parameterless booting always seemed like a screwy idea to me. If you are allowed an initrd then you could use kexec to make linux act as a bootloader and pass yourself kernel parameters but that seems like a lot of effort just to workaround a defective bootloader.
man kexec wrote:
kexec is a system call that enables you to load and boot into another kernel from the currently running kernel.

To load a kernel, the syntax is as follows:
Code:
kexec -l kernel-image --append=command-line-options --initrd=initrd-image

Edit: Those boot parameters only work on some HP laptops. One of the reasons I suggested them was I thought it would be easy for you to give them a try.

I just installed grub-legacy and tried your suggestion. The kernel line looks like this:

Code:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.6-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 video=uvesafb:1280x800-32,mtrr:3,ywrap video.use_bios_initial_backlight=0 video.brightness_switch_enabled=1


It doesn't change the backlight problem though. Any other suggestion?
_________________
"Nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem mittere sed gladium" (Yeshua Ha Mashiach)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 2486
Location: Silver City, NM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the only one I had. I'm sorry it didn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum