Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Multilib grub2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
You are using a sysresccd option that reads something like: "boot a system already on the hard drive" that does use the cd kernel and the hard drive init.
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/esp
mv /boot/kernel-3.12.13-gentoo /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.13-gentoo
rm -rf /boot/efi
Bedtime here.

downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/files/0.8.0/refind-cd-0.8.0.zip/download and making and booting a refind cd may create a helpful tool.


rEFInd (both the CD and the instance on EFI) see vmlinuz, but it does the same thing. Kernel flash, then blackscreen.
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does either refind instance wait for you to select an icon while showing a countdown timer? are you able to left/right arrow through the icons?
does the cd instance have a blue Q icon?

provide a copy of the kernel on the ESP (should give refind a penguin option), gather more data
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/esp
cp /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.3-gentoo /mnt/esp/EFI/Boot/vmlinuzx64.efi
wgetpaste /mnt/esp/EFI/refind/refind.conf
efibootmgr -v | wgetpaste
grep -i cmdline /usr/src/linux/.config | wgetpaste


Eliminate the content, if any, of the 'Bios boot Partition' and change the partition type to Linux filesystem
Code:
mkdir /mnt/g2
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/g2
rm -rf /mnt/g2
emerge gptfdisk
gdisk /dev/sda
t    #change a partition's type code
6       #Partition number
8300 #Linux filesystem
w      #write
q       #quit

_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
does either refind instance wait for you to select an icon while showing a countdown timer? are you able to left/right arrow through the icons?
does the cd instance have a blue Q icon?

Yes, to all of the above.

DONAHUE wrote:

provide a copy of the kernel on the ESP (should give refind a penguin option), gather more data
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/esp
cp /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.3-gentoo /mnt/esp/EFI/Boot/vmlinuzx64.efi
wgetpaste /mnt/esp/EFI/refind/refind.conf

http://bpaste.net/show/263812/
DONAHUE wrote:
Code:

efibootmgr -v | wgetpaste

http://bpaste.net/show/263814/
DONAHUE wrote:

Code:

grep -i cmdline /usr/src/linux/.config | wgetpaste

http://bpaste.net/show/263815/
DONAHUE wrote:

Eliminate the content, if any, of the 'Bios boot Partition' and change the partition type to Linux filesystem
Code:
mkdir /mnt/g2
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/g2
rm -rf /mnt/g2
emerge gptfdisk
gdisk /dev/sda
t    #change a partition's type code
6       #Partition number
8300 #Linux filesystem
w      #write
q       #quit

Done.
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=PARTUUID=cfb9aa33-c14f-4f92-aef0-e0be989a02e5" tells the kernel to look for the rootfs at /dev/sda7
Choices:
you can run
Code:
blkid
and find the PARTUUID value for /dev/sda9 and replace cfb9aa33-c14f-4f92-aef0-e0be989a02e5 with the PARTUUID value for /dev/sda9 and add a space separated ro
Or
replace root=PARTUUID=cfb9aa33-c14f-4f92-aef0-e0be989a02e5 with root=/dev/sda9 ro
Or
replace root=PARTUUID=cfb9aa33-c14f-4f92-aef0-e0be989a02e5 with root=PARTLABEL=rootfs ro

after editing menuconfig recompile kernel. suggest using make && make modules_install && make install to preserve vmlinuz naming and let auto copy to /boot

my current theory: kms fails in uefi, efifb fails if kms is enabled, intel graphics require kms -- catch 22 situation resulting in a black screen during kernel start. Unfixable last I heard. After kms enables, the kernel fails to find the root file system, it panics causing the lock leds to flash.
Is there a pattern to the flashes?

you should be able to boot:
windows flag icon from either refind (hard drive or cd)
if you have a penguin icon it should try to boot but fail as before
after repairs above, the vmlinuz gentoo icon should boot
refind cd blue Q icon should boot the hard drive refind
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After making the suggested changes, I now get 3 penguins, and a gentoo icon from the disk refind. I think I may try just wiping everything out and just use one linux partition.
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any icons produce a boot?

is this https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/2108/gentoo_icon#size=125 the way the gentoo icon appears?
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
any icons produce a boot?

nope
DONAHUE wrote:

is this https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/2108/gentoo_icon#size=125 the way the gentoo icon appears?

Yes, except that it has a little hard drive icon attached to it.
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the windows flag icon will not boot windows?

I would expect you to see:
Icons:
windows flag | penguin | Gentoo | Gentoo
over text descriptions:
Boot Microsoft EFI boot from 96MiB FAT volume | Boot EFI\Boot|vmlinuzx64.efi from 96MiB FAT volume | Boot boot\vmlinuz-3.12.3-gentoo from boot | Boot boot\vmlinuz-3.12.3-gentoo.old from boot

apparently not so for icons; text?
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Even the windows flag icon will not boot windows?

I would expect you to see:
Icons:
windows flag | penguin | Gentoo | Gentoo
over text descriptions:
Boot Microsoft EFI boot from 96MiB FAT volume | Boot EFI\Boot|vmlinuzx64.efi from 96MiB FAT volume | Boot boot\vmlinuz-3.12.3-gentoo from boot | Boot boot\vmlinuz-3.12.3-gentoo.old from boot

apparently not so for icons; text?


Windows boots fine. There are 3 penguins and 1 gentoo (onthe disk refind -- the cd refind sees the disk refind as well). None of those boot. I get a kernel flash, and when it should start loading kernel modules (based on watching other gentoo installs boot elsewhere) is when the screen goes black and a) nothing happens, or b) the caps lock led flashes.

I'm still thinking wiping and redoing the linux partitions, and combining them into one would simplify things a bit. Also read somewhere (Gentoo wiki EFI stub kernel article) that I need an EFI partition type? But is that the same as the existing ESP partition?
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also read somewhere (Gentoo wiki EFI stub kernel article) that I need an EFI partition type? But is that the same as the existing ESP partition?
sda2 is the efi partition (esp), it has the partition type ef00 and was created by installing windows.

could you give me the text descriptions?

Is the gentoo icon the one that goes to a black screen but does not cause flashing lock leds?

check the laptop manual for the key combinations that control backlight and screen brightness, boot to black screen without flashing leds, waitr for disk activity to stop, then cycle the brightness controls. some while ago some laptops were were responding wrongly under linux -- coming up with the screen and backlight brightness set to blackout

Quote:
kernel flash
Does this mean the usual too fast to read messages like:
Quote:
[ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
[ 0.000000] Linux version 3.14.1-gentoo (root@fx8150) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Gentoo 4.8.2 p1.3r1, pie-0.5.8r1) ) #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 1 13:52:13 EDT 2014
[ 0.000000] Command line: \boot\vmlinuz-3.14.1-gentoo ro root=/dev/sdc1
[ 0.000000] e820: BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x000000000009ffff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x0000000000100000-0x00000000bdc4afff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bdc4b000-0x00000000be4e8fff] reserved
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000be4e9000-0x00000000be8dafff] ACPI NVS
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000be8db000-0x00000000bee2dfff] reserved
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bee2e000-0x00000000bee2efff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bee2f000-0x00000000bf034fff] ACPI NVS
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bf035000-0x00000000bf452fff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bf453000-0x00000000bf7f3fff] reserved
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bf7f4000-0x00000000bf7fffff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000fec00000-0x00000000fec00fff] reserved


Assuming that there is a refind choice that displays kernel start messages like those above that goes to black screen but not flashing leds, the following experiment may provide information (possibly confirm that the kernel completes a boot), note the time, boot that choice, allow a couple of minutes for a potential boot to complete. <ctrl-alt-delete>. If you get a shutdown response: good sign. Reboot the sysresccd, mount the gentoo partition, ls -l /mnt/gentoo/var/log/dmesg. If the time is shortly after the time noted earlier: good sign. wgetpaste /var/log/dmesg Pls post url.
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DONAHUE"]
Quote:
Also read somewhere (Gentoo wiki EFI stub kernel article) that I need an EFI partition type? But is that the same as the existing ESP partition?
sda2 is the efi partition (esp), it has the partition type ef00 and was created by installing windows.
Quote:

Gotcha.

[quote="DONAHUE"]
could you give me the text descriptions?

For the partitions? Or the other icons? The partitions just say "Basic data partition" or something like that. I'd have to look and write down the other icons in rEFInd.

DONAHUE wrote:

Is the gentoo icon the one that goes to a black screen but does not cause flashing lock leds?

No. It's one of the penguins. The path is "EFI\Boot\vmlinuzx64.efi", IIRC. I may need to double-check that.

DONAHUE wrote:

check the laptop manual for the key combinations that control backlight and screen brightness, boot to black screen without flashing leds, waitr for disk activity to stop, then cycle the brightness controls. some while ago some laptops were were responding wrongly under linux -- coming up with the screen and backlight brightness set to blackout

No joy.

DONAHUE wrote:

Quote:
kernel flash
Does this mean the usual too fast to read messages like:
Quote:
[ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
[ 0.000000] Linux version 3.14.1-gentoo (root@fx8150) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Gentoo 4.8.2 p1.3r1, pie-0.5.8r1) ) #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 1 13:52:13 EDT 2014
[ 0.000000] Command line: \boot\vmlinuz-3.14.1-gentoo ro root=/dev/sdc1
[ 0.000000] e820: BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x000000000009ffff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x0000000000100000-0x00000000bdc4afff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bdc4b000-0x00000000be4e8fff] reserved
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000be4e9000-0x00000000be8dafff] ACPI NVS
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000be8db000-0x00000000bee2dfff] reserved
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bee2e000-0x00000000bee2efff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bee2f000-0x00000000bf034fff] ACPI NVS
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bf035000-0x00000000bf452fff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bf453000-0x00000000bf7f3fff] reserved
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000bf7f4000-0x00000000bf7fffff] usable
[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: [mem 0x00000000fec00000-0x00000000fec00fff] reserved

Yes, this is what I get for all the icons.

DONAHUE wrote:

Assuming that there is a refind choice that displays kernel start messages like those above that goes to black screen but not flashing leds, the following experiment may provide information (possibly confirm that the kernel completes a boot), note the time, boot that choice, allow a couple of minutes for a potential boot to complete. <ctrl-alt-delete>. If you get a shutdown response: good sign. Reboot the sysresccd, mount the gentoo partition, ls -l /mnt/gentoo/var/log/dmesg. If the time is shortly after the time noted earlier: good sign. wgetpaste /var/log/dmesg Pls post url.

Some light at the end of the tunnel?

http://bpaste.net/show/265874
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, refind is doing its job, kernel is starting to do its job, apparently a problem with graphics support kernel configuration causing both video failure and a kernel panic. Homework time. I'll be back. I did look at graphics configuration without getting alarmed. Either I did not look hard enough or I don't know intel graphics and uefi well enough. I'll be back.

Try compiling kernels with these options,as vmlinuz-2.12.3-kms-gentoo vmlinuz-2.12.3-efifb[/quote]-gentoo and see if either works
Either:
Quote:
Graphics support --->
<*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) --->
--- /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
< > AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
<*> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
< > SiS chipset support
< > VIA chipset support
-*- VGA Arbitration
(2) Maximum number of GPUs
[ ] Laptop Hybrid Graphics - GPU switching support
<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) --->
I2C encoder or helper chips --->
< > 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ (NEW)
< > ATI Rage 128 (NEW)
< > ATI Radeon (NEW)
< > Nouveau (nVidia) cards (NEW)
<*> Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics
[*] Enable modesetting on intel by default
< > Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)
< > SiS video cards (NEW)
< > Via unichrome video cards (NEW)
< > Savage video cards (NEW)
< > DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU (NEW)
< > Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer (NEW)
< > DisplayLink (NEW)
< > AST server chips (NEW)
< > Kernel modesetting driver for MGA G200 server engines (NEW)
< > Cirrus driver for QEMU emulated device (NEW)
< > QXL virtual GPU (NEW)
-*- Lowlevel video output switch controls
-*- Support for frame buffer devices --->
--- Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Enable firmware EDID
[ ] Framebuffer foreign endianness support --->
[*] Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers
[*] Enable Tile Blitting Support
*** Frame buffer hardware drivers ***
< > Cirrus Logic support
< > Permedia2 support
< > CyberPro 2000/2010/5000 support
< > Arc Monochrome LCD board support
[ ] Asiliant (Chips) 69000 display support
[ ] IMS Twin Turbo display support
< > VGA 16-color graphics support
< > Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] EFI-based Framebuffer Support
< > N411 Apollo/Hecuba devkit support
< > Hercules mono graphics support
< > Epson S1D13XXX framebuffer support
< > nVidia Framebuffer Support
< > nVidia Riva support
< > Intel740 support
< > Intel LE80578 (Vermilion) support
< > Matrox acceleration
< > ATI Radeon display support
< > ATI Rage128 display support
< > ATI Mach64 display support
< > S3 Trio/Virge support
< > S3 Savage support
< > SiS/XGI display support
< > VIA UniChrome (Pro) and Chrome9 display support
< > NeoMagic display support
< > IMG Kyro support
< > 3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5 display support
< > 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support
< > VIA VT8623 support
< > Trident/CyberXXX/CyberBlade support
< > ARK 2000PV support
< > Permedia3 support
< > Fujitsu carmine frame buffer support
[ ] AMD Geode family framebuffer support
< > SMSC UFX6000/7000 USB Framebuffer support
< > Displaylink USB Framebuffer support
< > Goldfish Framebuffer
< > Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!)
< > E-Ink Metronome/8track controller support
< > Fujitsu MB862xx GDC support
< > E-Ink Broadsheet/Epson S1D13521 controller support
< > AUO-K190X EPD controller support
[ ] Exynos Video driver support --->
[*] Backlight & LCD device support --->
Console display driver support --->
-*- VGA text console
[*] Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
(256) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
-*- Framebuffer Console support
-*- Map the console to the primary display device
[ ] Framebuffer Console Rotation
[ ] Select compiled-in fonts
[*] Bootup logo --->
--- Bootup logo
[ ] Standard black and white Linux logo
[ ] Standard 16-color Linux logo
[*] Standard 224-color Linux logo

or
Quote:
Graphics support --->
<*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) --->
--- /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
< > AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
<*> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
< > SiS chipset support
< > VIA chipset support
-*- VGA Arbitration
(2) Maximum number of GPUs
[ ] Laptop Hybrid Graphics - GPU switching support
<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) --->
I2C encoder or helper chips --->
< > 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ (NEW)
< > ATI Rage 128 (NEW)
< > ATI Radeon (NEW)
< > Nouveau (nVidia) cards (NEW)
<*> Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics
[ ] Enable modesetting on intel by default
< > Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)
< > SiS video cards (NEW)
< > Via unichrome video cards (NEW)
< > Savage video cards (NEW)
< > DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU (NEW)
< > Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer (NEW)
< > DisplayLink (NEW)
< > AST server chips (NEW)
< > Kernel modesetting driver for MGA G200 server engines (NEW)
< > Cirrus driver for QEMU emulated device (NEW)
< > QXL virtual GPU (NEW)
-*- Lowlevel video output switch controls
-*- Support for frame buffer devices --->
--- Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Enable firmware EDID
[ ] Framebuffer foreign endianness support --->
[*] Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers
[*] Enable Tile Blitting Support
*** Frame buffer hardware drivers ***
< > Cirrus Logic support
< > Permedia2 support
< > CyberPro 2000/2010/5000 support
< > Arc Monochrome LCD board support
[ ] Asiliant (Chips) 69000 display support
[ ] IMS Twin Turbo display support
< > VGA 16-color graphics support
< > Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] VESA VGA graphics support
[ *] EFI-based Framebuffer Support
< > N411 Apollo/Hecuba devkit support
< > Hercules mono graphics support
< > Epson S1D13XXX framebuffer support
< > nVidia Framebuffer Support
< > nVidia Riva support
< > Intel740 support
< > Intel LE80578 (Vermilion) support
< > Matrox acceleration
< > ATI Radeon display support
< > ATI Rage128 display support
< > ATI Mach64 display support
< > S3 Trio/Virge support
< > S3 Savage support
< > SiS/XGI display support
< > VIA UniChrome (Pro) and Chrome9 display support
< > NeoMagic display support
< > IMG Kyro support
< > 3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5 display support
< > 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support
< > VIA VT8623 support
< > Trident/CyberXXX/CyberBlade support
< > ARK 2000PV support
< > Permedia3 support
< > Fujitsu carmine frame buffer support
[ ] AMD Geode family framebuffer support
< > SMSC UFX6000/7000 USB Framebuffer support
< > Displaylink USB Framebuffer support
< > Goldfish Framebuffer
< > Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!)
< > E-Ink Metronome/8track controller support
< > Fujitsu MB862xx GDC support
< > E-Ink Broadsheet/Epson S1D13521 controller support
< > AUO-K190X EPD controller support
[ ] Exynos Video driver support --->
[*] Backlight & LCD device support --->
Console display driver support --->
-*- VGA text console
[*] Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
(256) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
-*- Framebuffer Console support
-*- Map the console to the primary display device
[ ] Framebuffer Console Rotation
[ ] Select compiled-in fonts
[*] Bootup logo --->
--- Bootup logo
[ ] Standard black and white Linux logo
[ ] Standard 16-color Linux logo
[*] Standard 224-color Linux logo

_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Quote:
Graphics support --->
<*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) --->
--- /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
< > AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-CPU GART support
<*> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
< > SiS chipset support
< > VIA chipset support
-*- VGA Arbitration
(2) Maximum number of GPUs
[ ] Laptop Hybrid Graphics - GPU switching support
<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) --->
I2C encoder or helper chips --->
< > 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ (NEW)
< > ATI Rage 128 (NEW)
< > ATI Radeon (NEW)
< > Nouveau (nVidia) cards (NEW)
<*> Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics
[*] Enable modesetting on intel by default
< > Matrox g200/g400 (NEW)
< > SiS video cards (NEW)
< > Via unichrome video cards (NEW)
< > Savage video cards (NEW)
< > DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU (NEW)
< > Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer (NEW)
< > DisplayLink (NEW)
< > AST server chips (NEW)
< > Kernel modesetting driver for MGA G200 server engines (NEW)
< > Cirrus driver for QEMU emulated device (NEW)
< > QXL virtual GPU (NEW)
-*- Lowlevel video output switch controls
-*- Support for frame buffer devices --->
--- Support for frame buffer devices
[*] Enable firmware EDID
[ ] Framebuffer foreign endianness support --->
[*] Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers
[*] Enable Tile Blitting Support
*** Frame buffer hardware drivers ***
< > Cirrus Logic support
< > Permedia2 support
< > CyberPro 2000/2010/5000 support
< > Arc Monochrome LCD board support
[ ] Asiliant (Chips) 69000 display support
[ ] IMS Twin Turbo display support
< > VGA 16-color graphics support
< > Userspace VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] VESA VGA graphics support
[ ] EFI-based Framebuffer Support
< > N411 Apollo/Hecuba devkit support
< > Hercules mono graphics support
< > Epson S1D13XXX framebuffer support
< > nVidia Framebuffer Support
< > nVidia Riva support
< > Intel740 support
< > Intel LE80578 (Vermilion) support
< > Matrox acceleration
< > ATI Radeon display support
< > ATI Rage128 display support
< > ATI Mach64 display support
< > S3 Trio/Virge support
< > S3 Savage support
< > SiS/XGI display support
< > VIA UniChrome (Pro) and Chrome9 display support
< > NeoMagic display support
< > IMG Kyro support
< > 3Dfx Banshee/Voodoo3/Voodoo5 display support
< > 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics (sst1) support
< > VIA VT8623 support
< > Trident/CyberXXX/CyberBlade support
< > ARK 2000PV support
< > Permedia3 support
< > Fujitsu carmine frame buffer support
[ ] AMD Geode family framebuffer support
< > SMSC UFX6000/7000 USB Framebuffer support
< > Displaylink USB Framebuffer support
< > Goldfish Framebuffer
< > Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!)
< > E-Ink Metronome/8track controller support
< > Fujitsu MB862xx GDC support
< > E-Ink Broadsheet/Epson S1D13521 controller support
< > AUO-K190X EPD controller support
[ ] Exynos Video driver support --->
[*] Backlight & LCD device support --->
Console display driver support --->
-*- VGA text console
[*] Enable Scrollback Buffer in System RAM
(256) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
-*- Framebuffer Console support
-*- Map the console to the primary display device
[ ] Framebuffer Console Rotation
[ ] Select compiled-in fonts
[*] Bootup logo --->
--- Bootup logo
[ ] Standard black and white Linux logo
[ ] Standard 16-color Linux logo
[*] Standard 224-color Linux logo



Well, this ended up in another black-screen-LED-blinking-non-boot. Which in my mind, leads to a couple of things. A) it lends credence to the value of starting over with everything on 1 partition (and a nice fresh kernel config), and B) trying to be a little more formal about the actual kernel config. Not in the sense of using version control or anything like that, but more in the sense of maintaining a base kernel config that boots (regardless of whether video works), and make config diff/patch changes off the base kernel config, if that makes sense. This way, your "either/or" scenario doesn't have to deal with any previous kernel changes not relevant to the issue at hand. (It would also make it much easier to make the kernel config changes. I could simply "patch a-new.kernel.config orig.kernel.config" (or whatever the appropriate order is), or run "patch b-new.kernel.config orig.kernel.config" to test new kernels.

If you agree, I'll wipe the extra partitions, follow the handbook to the point of configuring the kernel; jump out to the EFI wiki sites to config the kernel and test until I have a "booting" kernel (regardless of whether we have video or not). From there, I think that gives us a safe, stable platform for testing kernel video and EFI changes to get this thing booting.

Also, keep in mind, if installing EFI-compatible kubuntu or debian is an option, I'm open to that as well. I'd prefer to work with gentoo, since I'm most familiar with that, but the point is to have "a" linux be the primary OS on the laptop, with the native Windows as a "resident guest" (not a virtual guest).
_________________
-= the D@7@k|n& =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 7550
Location: Goose Creek SC

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel free, though i would try the no kms version first, cul
_________________
Defund the FCC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum